Four Roses Single Barrel Reserve
An older version of Four Roses popular single barrel.
The origins of the Four Roses brand are historically hazy, with some speculating that it has been sold since the 1860s. The brand name itself was trademarked in 1888 by the Paul Jones company. At the onset of Prohibition, Paul Jones purchased the Frankfort Distillery, reorganising their company as part of it in order to use its medicinal license to continue to bottle Four Roses bourbon. The Four Roses distillery we know today was built in Lawrenceburg in 1910 by JTS Brown & Sons. Known back then as the Old Prentice, it is one of the Kentucky distilleries on the National Register of Historic Buildings for its distinctive Spanish mission style architecture. It was re-opened in 1933 after the repeal of Prohibition, Seagram purchased the Frankfort Distillery in 1943, and the Old Prentice distillery three years later, moving the production on the Four Roses brand there, renaming the plant after it in the process. When Seagram was wound up in the early 2000s, the distillery and its brands were bought by Japanese firm, Kirin, who continue to produce Four Roses to great acclaim.
Amazingly, Four Roses was not available as a straight bourbon, let alone a single barrel in the US market for a long time. Seagram had preferred to produce it only for export in order to push their other brands domestically. This changed under new ownership however, and Kirin introduced a number of welcome line extensions like this one in the 2000s.
We would recommend viewing/close inspection prior to placing any bids. If this is not an option and you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please contact us for a more in-depth condition report. Otherwise lots will be sold as seen in the images.
Please note: Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.