Whiskybase Archives 4 x 70cl / with Springbank
Four bottlings from the Archives series from Whiskkybase,
Ben Nevis distillery was built by "Long" John MacDonald in 1825, and was so popular by the end of the 19th century that at one point the estate employed over 200 people. After a series of closure and re-openings at the beginning of the 20th, it was eventually bought by former Canadian bootlegger, Joseph Hobbs. He installed a coffey still there in 1955, making Ben Nevis Scotland's first dual-operation distillery, and began to blend its malt and grain before filling it to cask. Sporadic closures again followed Hobb's death, with stability finally ensured in 1989 when it was bought by long-term customers, Nikka Whisky of Japan. Its turbulent history means there were few distillery bottlings until the launch of the 10 year old single malt in 1996, but casks had long been making their way to independent labels, and many of them are very highly praised.
Springbank distillery has been owned and operated by the Mitchell family in Campbeltown since 1837, and it one of Scotland's most revered distilleries. Following a brief mothballing between 1979 and 1987, upon the reopening the decision was taken to cease all sales to the blending industry and focus on its single malt sales. Today it is one of the only distilleries to malt, distil, bottle and mature whisky on the same site, and produces three distinct and highly prized single malts.
The Isle of Mull's Tobermory distillery was first opened way back in 1798, known back then as Ledaig. It was dormant for the majority of the 20th century, shut down by DCL in 1930, and when it re-opened in 1972, it did so as again as Ledaig distillery. Its revival was only brief however, closing down in 1975. When the distillery was re-opened in 1979, it was now known as Tobermory. Its production in former years had generally been peated whisky, but the newly revived company began producing non-peated as well, for the provision of a blended malt which they marketed under the Tobermory name. Burn Stewart discontinued the blend when they took over in 1993, opting to continue the production of both styles as two distinct single malt brands. The un-peated single malt took over the Tobermory brand, while the traditional peated style fittingly retained the historic Ledaig name.
We would recommend viewing/close inspection prior to placing any bids. If this is not an option and you have questions beyond the offered description and images, please contact us for a more in-depth condition report. Otherwise lots will be sold as seen in the images.
Please note: Due to the various ages of bottles and their seals, condition of liquid is at the buyer's discretion and no claim can be lodged against failure/leakage in transit.